I started working from home for Airbnb in late September. It’s been about a month now and I’m starting to understand more about the job and what it’s like to work from home.
Sometimes it’s great, but sometimes it really sucks. If you’re considering working remotely here are some things that may help you decide…
- No commute! I used to carve out 2-3 hours a day commuting to and from my job. Now I just roll over and turn my laptop on.
- Fancy laptop from the company
- This fancy laptop is a Macbook Air 13″ and she’s a beaut! Fast as lightning and under 3lbs it makes moving around the house, working at a coffee shop or even traveling easy!
- The ability to work from anywhere as long as you have internet
- No need to get dressed up or observe hygiene (within reason)
- Flexible schedule – I can have lunch or take breaks almost whenever I want
- Ability to multi-task. If things are slow I can get stuff done around the house while I monitor the computer
- As long as I’m near the comp and not too busy I can have friends over!
- Costs associated with working outside the home (eating out, extra transportation, alcohol) are virtually non-existent. Even though my hourly wage is puny, at least I’m saving a lot by staying home so much!
- Less stress, I don’t have to worry about people watching me every moment
- Dang, it gets lonely. You become a bit of a hermit because you’re not out in society anymore
- At times you can be tethered to your job and working insane hours just because your computer happens to be there. Work/life balance can still be hard to achieve
- No reason to dress up anymore
- Your home can actually get messier because you’re at home all the time now
- Potential weight gain from sitting so close to the kitchen all the time
- Still hard to get up in the morning. Just because your commute is only 30 seconds now doesn’t mean you can show up late!
- Lack of direction and discipline can become issues
There are more pros in my list than cons, but the loneliness factor is a huge one. I really feel isolated and cut off from the world. I try to get out more, but this isolation breeds more isolation. I’m more of a homebody than ever before! I’m having issues with the lack of routine, as well. It was much easier to fall into one when there were other people around. Now that I’m at home all the time, some days I don’t even get dressed. I love dressing up so this is very disappointing for me!
I’ve been trying to establish a routine that involves waking up at a good time, eating properly and getting outside for a walk or something every day, but frankly, I suck at this. The crappy weather may have something to do with it, but I think it’s mostly my own laziness and resistance. Somehow I’ve developed these habits and routines of laziness without even knowing it. Ruh-roh.
I used to hate the people when I was working in advertising (ok maybe not hate but I didn’t like most of them) and now I find myself missing people the most in this new job. I can still technically talk to my coworkers through Skype and video chats, but it’s just not the same. I guess I’m struggling with this change.
What would you do in my situation?